Time and again we raise this question as to what is happening with our money and somehow we do not get answers. In the past too the Association of Concerned Catholics (AOCC ) late President Mr. Gordon Jacobs had raised several questions regarding the accountability of Jesus assets, which are donated to the Church for good use and which have been misused but somehow there have been no answers.
Since human memory is short I am once again recalling the past instances where the assets of Jesus have disappeared.
- Gold jewelry costing lakhs and lakhs of rupees given for safe keeping by the East Indians of Santacruz Gaothan which has disappeared during the time of Fr. Salvadore Rodrigues or the priest who took over in Sacred Heart Church Santacruz. No FIR has been lodged.
- No tenders being called by St. Josephs Church Juhu for the hoardings and given away for little or nothing.Here too AOCC raised a hue and cry and the rates have suddenly gone up from 8 lakhs a month to 24 lakhs.
- A flat given to a staff of Sacred Heart Church for free and the stand taken is that he took it without consent.
- A 1200 sq feet flat given to an Advocate for free by St. Micheals Church Mahim.
- Two shops being sub let to a Pizza firm just outside St. Micheals Church Mahim and the same was not informed to the incoming Parish Priest by the Chamchas. Subsequently closed down when AOCC raised a hue and cry.
- Marydell sold to a builder and his cheque of Rs. 10 lakhs had bounced and no action taken. It was only after AOCC made a noise that necessary action was initiated.
- Rs. 1,50,000 paid to an advocate to get sanction in Mahim and the certificate was not obtained. It was only after AOCC intervened and sent a lawyers notice for free that the Sanction to sell was given by the advocate.
- A flat given to a non catholic in Colaba despite there being guidelines which were not followed.
- Offices being given to various advocates for free in various places.The list can go on and on .
- The latest is that Rs.1,64,000/- of Easter Collection given to a person to deposit in the bank and belonging to the St. Josephs Church Juhu which was never deposited and kept as a closely guarded secret by all concerned Priests and chamchas until AOCC exposed it. No FIR has been lodged despite 6 Sundays ( 45 days) having passed after Easter. What could be the reason why no FIR has been lodged? Is the Parish Priest afraid of the thief who is an employee? Does the thief who has a transport business know about some much bigger misappropriations and therefore people are afraid of him?My guess is that the Parish Priest is afraid of the thief for reasons which are obvious and therefore he has never informed the Parishioners who donated the money that it was stolen nor did he file an FIR. These are Jesus’s assets and not private property. All priests in St. Josephs Juhu are either unaware or are also keeping quiet. Why did all the chamchas keep quiet?Are these chamchas getting a slice of the cake?This is just a tip of the iceberg .Do not give any donations in the name of a Priest. All donations have to be made in the name of the trust.Do not get fooled that immovable assets can only be given to a priest and not a trust. Certain priests are on a flat collection spree. Mumbai Catholics need to protect our assets. All Church properties should be developed sold and resold to practising Roman Catholics only and tri partie agreements should be made between the buyer , seller and the consenting party should be the church so that Church properties can be protected . Sadly Cardinal Oswald Gracious is yet to accept this suggestion of mine. As a catholic it is our duty to warn the corrupt persons and expose them. Those persons who remain silent are guilty of the sin of complicity. What does the bible say
Ezekiel 3:17–21New International Version (NIV). 17 “Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the … Footnotes: Ezekiel 3:18 Or in; also in verses 19 and 20 …