The following are mails sent by Shankar Das Gupta which were never published. Will any person reply to these allegations?
Some persons seem to have the eyes and ears of the bishops so they have information which does not lie in the public doman. Does two wrongs make a right? Under Press Law it’s mandatory to publish the other sides view but the same is not done .
Are we are aware about the sin of complicity? Even people who defend wrongdoers are guilty of this sin as per Church law.
The fact remains that today Jesus has been replaced with money by some persons who are supposed to be his followers
We, all know what Jesus said ” Father forgive them for they know not what they do”, in todays time we have to say ” Father forgive them for they know what they are doing and yet doing it”.Amen
Bashop Agnelo Gracious,
Reference: Your note appeared in The Examiner (23rd November-29th November 2013).
Your Lordship, I take this opportunity to put forward a few following questions which are directly connected to you. You will do a great service to the OLMC parishioners and the Christian community as a whole, if you spare some of your specious time and answer these questions. Needless to say, it is assumed, that all your answers will be true to the best of your knowledge.
1 That, your note appeared in The Examiner was a) advertisement, b) your personal report or c) news item from the Editor.
2 That, if your answer is “Yes” for both a) and b), in that case was it paid for and if paid, who paid?
3 That, if it was a news item, in that case readers have the right to know, as to why the Editor failed in his duty to take and print the versions of the property committee of OLMC, alongside. In that case, you need not worry; I will put forward the question to the Editor.
4 That, your answer will help as to go about when anyone wishes to approach The Examiner, whenever any need arises.
5 That, were your many letters of commitments to the parishioners through the parish priests between 2006 and 2008 genuine? If yes, will you please let the parishioners know, what are the steps that you had taken to fulfil your commitments?
6 Your note clearly indicates that due to a few group of people that OLMC project is stalled. Will you please let the parishioners of OLMC know, as to when you have informed the parish priest of OLMC that the project is stalled?
7 That, it is expected of you to trust the Law of the Land. Therefore, if you are unable to manage a small group of people who is as per you the cause of concern, in that case why have you not take the help of the Law enforcing authorities?
8 That, between 2009 and 2012, the then new property committee along with the parish priest tried their best in a most respectable manner to pursue this project to make it off the ground but, failed. Even once they could not meet you, nor received single communication from you. I must tell you and you may also check with the then parish priest that, during that period the property committee have never faced any problem from any one from OLMC parish. Thus, it is intriguing if your intention is noble, why have you not collaborated with the property committee in those years?
9 That, on 9th January, 2013 our beloved OLMC was locked and the said information was passed on within 15 minutes of the incident to you and all the relevant honourable church leaders with a plea to visit our OLMC and resolve this
unfortunate problem. How is it that, none of you bothered to visit OLMC but, held your pre-planned meeting with the priest including OLMC?
10 Yes, parish priest of St John and our parish priest did attend the meeting on 10th evening called by the parishioners. What a pathetic leadership they displayed before almost over 400 parishioners. Having no answer to any of the questions posed before them and severely criticized by some of the parishioners, they left the venue without even calling off the meeting, let alone doing anything to reopen the Church. Will you kindly clarify under whose instruction, that they have attended this meeting and why?
11 It was left to only FOUR parishioners out of over 4000, Cardinal, Bishops, priests to speak to the people, who locked the church to reopen and finally reopened on the late morning of 12th January. How it that, all of you teach us of thousand martyrs who over the years laid down their lives for the church and its teachings but, they themselves prefer to stay put in their comfort zones, when need of the hour was to face it bravely?
12 One piece of OLMC land is still under encroachment (about 3 years), what action have you initiated to reclaim the said land?
Lordship, I can go on with many questions, however, I will appreciate to begin with if you kindly attend to these questions for the benefits of the parishioners of OLMC. I am aware, that I am a sinner and I need to mind my sins before pointing fingers at others, however, I feel some people have to take stand against wrong doings at some times.
Mumbai Date: 5th February, 2014
Rev Fr Anthony
Reference: Note from Bishop Agnelo published in The Examiner dated 23rd/29th November, 2013.
Kindly refer to my mail dated 1st February, 2014 and as indicated in the said mail, I am sending some more questions which are self-explanatory. However, it is to be understood that resentments of people have reached to this stage doesn’t limit due to the sale of TDR alone, but many lapses on various fronts. Thus, I have included those which are known to me and can be substantiated with proofs.
1. How it is that, a meeting was held in the premises of a politician’s to replace an existing architect and appoint a politician’s recommended architect citing reason that the newly appointed architect will expedite the process with the TMC, among other things?
2. How it is that, other than the priests and a non-property committee member attended the said meeting without the knowledge of the lay property committee members?
3. How it is that, copy mentioned as C C of a written communication about what transpired in the said meeting was sent only to a lay property committee member and not all the members? Is it the policy of divide and rule?
4. How it is that, said member whose name appeared on the copy denied before Cardinal, priests, OLMC property and finance committee members that he has never received such a letter?
5. How it is that, after completion of all formalities and receipt of Rs.20 crore for the sale of TDR, bifurcation of the remaining land was not made, nor any boundary wall erected, which is the minimum any sensible person would do to protect one’s property?
6. How it is that, all the parishioners are kept in dark by not showing actual land on our hand and continued to use the Karuna Kendra premises and garden area which are situated on the land against which TDR has been sold, to make parishioners believe, as if nothing is changed?
7. How it is that, Bishop Agnelo and Fr Rumao were in a tearing hurry to close the deal with the builder but, disappeared from the scene when it was time for them to see that necessary working team is appointed to take forward construction of OLMC and Little Flower School?
8. How it is that, no one was made responsible and accountable for overseeing the work and left it to the parishioners of OLMC to raise their voice to fulfil the dream, as projected by Bishop Agnelo to the gullible parishioners (out of reverence to him) at the time of the sale of TDR? Can those parishioners forget the power-point presentation given by him in OLMC?
9. How it is that, Cardinal have not taken anybody to task for their deliberate negligence (reasons best known to them), but shown very little courage to take a stand and direct concerned people who have let down the parishioners of OLMC?
10. How it is that, commitment given by Cardinal on various occasions latest being on 11th January, 2013 remained on paper and nobody is held responsible for their inactions?
11. How it is that, Estate Office of the Archdiocese Office not questioning anybody or getting involved in this long pending property issue?
12. How it is that, though known to all that the structures of OLMC and School are illegal, fines and additional charges towards taxes are being paid year after year (since 1986), still people are squabbling and “passing the buck” instead of resolving the matter as early as possible?
13. How it is that, at the time of Fr Felix classrooms were erected in the auditorium with water proof planks, woods etc and within a year those rooms were dismantled and disappeared, so as those materials? (The cost of those materials and labour will be of a few lakhs)
14. How it is that, a decade ago our Little Flower School which was among the best four schools in Thane (other three being Holy Cross Convent, Singhania and St John) whose present position in the minds of parents and others is anybody’s guess?
15. How it is that, internal audit report does not have any mention of such wasteful expenses?
16. How it is that, in less than a year of appointment in the year 2009, the new finance committee was able to recover Rs2 lakhs which was due from many supplies and not recovered for many years by the people who were responsible?
17. How it is that, an amount of Rs.30 lakhs was outstanding in the year 2009, payable to a Bank for the loan taken by OLMC trust, inspite of having in the Trust accounts in all probability more than 10times of the loan amount?
18. How it is that, total fees receivable and actual fees received does not match at any point of time?
19. How it is that, Fr Felix started loan disbursement scheme by taking bank loan and no one raised questions? Who had approved this activity? There is another part to this, because of non recovery of many of these loans, those are ultimately written off.
20. How it is that, it appears PPC too remained silent all these years or the PPC was silenced?
21. How it is that, a comprehensive control system to stop leakages which was submitted to Cardinal for implementation in all the institutions under Bombay Diocese was not put to use, though he had appreciated our efforts? And……………….
22. I can go on with many more but, leaving it for other parishioners to speak up for the betterment of OLMC, Little Flower School and its parishioners in general.
At outset, let me assure you and all, who reads this mail that personally I have nothing against any of the above named honourable priests. However, I have issues with people whom we give greatest respect (we address them Eminence, Lordship, Rev Etc) and when they not only fail to meet their commitments towards their people but, take cognisance to blaming others to hide their inefficiencies. It is not the persons but, their actions which I wish to bring to light. A small group of people as reported by Bishop Agnelo (out of over 4000 parishioners) is stalling OLMC project sounds ridiculous. The action of this group as indicted by Bishop, to my mind is the reaction of many accumulated CAUSES. It is the accumulation of those causes that producing these kinds of reactions (not necessarily those reactions are right). I am aware, that there many parishioners who are disheartened but, does not wish speak up openly. Therefore, in this complex situation at present prevailing in OLMC a leader has to sincerely find effective solution for those causes to bring sanity to the situation.
A true leader always goes for the causes to resolve, not simply blame people’s reactions and further aggravate the matter.The above points as reported are in that direction. The sooner our revered leaders accept and direct their energy in that direction, I am sure that there will be a new dawn of hope and unity in OLMC.